Saturday, December 4, 2010

Fluffy Fun.

Did you know that it is possible to make marshmallows at home?  I'm here to tell you it is.  And they are, in short, incredible (if I don't mind saying so myself!).  I made some vanilla ones, that are just fluffy bites of deliciousness, some that are dipped in chocolate and then crushed candy canes, and some peppermint flavored marshmallows that I think will be lovely in hot chocolate.

Also, I think they're really pretty in the pan, before they're cut.
Not that you can see the difference in flavors, but this is a vanilla one.
And a mix of peppermint ones and chocolate/candy cane dipped ones.

Yum.  I love holiday baking!  So far I've made gingersnaps, sugar cookies, and these marshmallows.  I'm usually more into making whole wheat bread, whole-grain muffins, etc, but this is a very fluffy, fun, diversion from the norm.


2 comments:

  1. Recipe please!!! Those peppermint marshmellows look fantastic...well they all look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure - here's the link to the place I found it:
    http://denverbargains.com/2010/12/how-to-make-homemade-marshmallows/
    I don't usually bother watching video tutorials, but the one she had was really helpful because it looks different than other stuff I've done before, so it made it easier knowing what it was supposed to look like. Also, I divided the batter up and only did 1/4 of it with peppermint, and used 1/4 of what the recipe calls for, and it was REALLY strong, so I'd use a little less next time. And, the one thing she doesn't mention that I found helpful is that I sprinkled the top of the pan with the powdered sugar/cornstarch mixture and it was MUCH easier to cut after that. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete