Thursday, January 27, 2011

Today's Exercises in Self-Control.


Today, it was so nice and sunny out that I took Yarbo out on an impromptu walk.  I LOVE sunny days, especially when they come in January.  Actually, I mostly love sunny days in January, because in the summer, I'm not so fond of them.

At any rate.

I was walking along listening to Chris Rice's Untitled Hymn, which I love,  when I just started thinking about how lovely a day it was.  Suddenly, it felt a little like spring, and I wanted to rush home, open every single window in the house, and start cleaning.  However, I had to exercise self-control, because first and formost, I do not think Dave would be happy to come home to find our house 38 degrees.  What feels warm and balmy outside would still be very cold inside.  Although, I still think having the fresh air inside would be invigorating.

As a side note, Yarbo was having such a good time on our walk, and enjoying the relative warmth, that he kept diving straight into the biggest drifts.  We have a kind of weird dog.

Towards the end of our walk, we encountered a HUGE flock of geese across the road.  They looked like they were having lots of fun, honking, flapping about, and such.
Yarbo really wanted to go over and play with them, and I really wanted to let him, but in the end, exercised self control for the second time in 15 minutes, and kept him close to me.  I thought it would be fun to see him run around with them and make them all crazy, but in hindsight, I think I chose correctly.  It's kind of hard to tell in this picture, but those geese were huge, and I'm pretty sure that Yarbo could have easily become a very lean snack for them.

So, here we are.  Lots of self-control and restraint being exercised today.  Warm sunny days in the dead of winter always make me feel like this.  Lucky for me, I don't have to exercise self-control against tackling the organizing project I had planned for this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment