Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Facts of Adoption: Intro

Adoption is a commonly feared and mis-understood process.  It can be scary to consider bringing kids into your home, not knowing what other influencing factors may affect their behavior, or how they'll turn out under your care.

As we have been going through this process, we've been asked a lot of questions.  Some of those include:

  • What if you get a damaged child?
  • What if they're not the same color as you?
  • What if they behave badly because they've been neglected?
  • Will they call you Mom?
  • Can kids with problems be "fixed?"
  • What if they're "too much to handle?"

There are a lot more questions that have come up, but it has really shown me that many people don't really understand adoption and all the implications.  Before I spent so much time researching the subject, I would have counted myself among them.  Even now, I don't have all the answers. Actually, I probably don't even have half the answers. But over the next few weeks, I'd like to share researched facts about adoption based on the most current research I've found.

And, even with all these upcoming facts, I'd also like to say that even with positive research, there's still no guarantee that our future kids won't break our hearts.  But if we're really honest, there wouldn't have been any guarantee if the child had our DNA either,  After all, Dave and I are pretty fallible people.  And for that reason, we're thankful that God's grace can cover anything!

With that, stay tuned for the Facts of Adoption!

No comments:

Post a Comment