Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Is it Friday Yet? (Just kidding, this post is mostly about gardening)

I know, I know, it's not Friday yet.  But could it please be Friday soon?  Like tomorrow?

I realized something yesterday.  Lately, every time I think about how much I miss Isaac, or wonder if it can be Friday, I plant something.

As a result, I have about 12 pots of flowers, a hanging strawberry plant, 7 herbs, and around 35 plants growing in my garden.  And the only reason I'm not planting something else today is because it's raining cats and dogs out there.

Aside from the therapeutic factor, I really do love my garden.  Last year, I wanted to start a garden, but it was more than I could handle while going through cancer treatments, so this is my first garden ever!  I'm growing all kinds of stuff, and I'm so excited to be able to harvest all the fresh food.  I'm growing tomatoes, cucumbers, kale, lettuce, eggplant, zucchini, spaghetti squash, yellow squash, artichokes, parsley, cilantro, and peppers.

Theoretically I'm also growing yellow beans, but those seeds have been in the ground a long time and I haven't seen anything yet.  (sigh).

I'm learning a lot, especially about what not to do.  And I still need to do some research on a few things, like how much space a cucumber plant takes, and whether I should thin out the sprouts.

The strawberry plant has been especially fun.  Isaac really likes categorizing things, and one weekend, we spent a long time talking about which vegetables or fruits grow above the ground, and which ones grow below.  Of the ones that grow above, he wanted to know which fruits grew on the ground, and which ones grow on trees.  Because of that conversation, we got a hanging strawberry plant, so he can see a fruit that he likes develop and grow.

Anyway, overall, gardening has been a very pleasant distraction.  Even though it's only Wednesday.  But as much as he enjoys doing stuff outside, I'm really looking forward to working on it together once he lives here full time! (or at least working on it while he's singing and playing nearby on the swingset!).

No comments:

Post a Comment