Saturday, November 3, 2012

Rest for the Long Roads

Plan 5-10 minute escapes.

When I was younger, my mom used to take just a few minutes during the afternoons to just rest and rejuvenate.  I think she set a really good example that I struggle to follow - by spending just a few minutes relax, she was able to come back out from her break smiling and ready to take care of us and everything else for the rest of the day.

Since we homeschool, I spend a lot of time with the boys.  And sometimes I get to the point where my fuse is getting dangerously short, and I know I need to take a break.  Sometimes, I still have the kids with me, but I ask them to do something on their own, and tell them that I need time to myself too. 

I then have a few things I do to escape.  None of them are time-intensive, and they all are easy to start and stop within a small time frame.  And all of them are aimed at really resting.

Here are some of my 5-10 minute escapes:

  • Online puzzles (Try Jig Zone!)
  • A few rows of a knitting or crochet project (tip: Keep smaller projects in a quart-sized ziplock bag so it's easy to keep organized and nearby!
  • Splash some cold water on your face and get something cool to drink.  Sit down while you drink it!
  • Set a timer and lay down for 10 minutes.
  • Play a round of Words with Friends
  • Do an online word search.

On thing I try to stay away from when I'm busy and needing to stay focused is taking a break with something that is easy to waste time or get distracted by.  There are many online games, for example, but a lot of them could easily be played for 30 minutes or more before you even realize it.  With a game such as Words with Friends, a word search, or even the puzzles, there is a natural break after about 5-10 minutes that makes it easy to set back down and get back to work.

Keep escape time restful!

Escaping for a few minutes does not mean working on a to-do list, or getting something productive accomplished.  The sole purpose of taking a break is to refresh your soul and rejuvenate your spirit - which, in turn, helps to be more productive later!

Give it a try!

Take a break, and escape when you're tired.  I find that if I do it before I'm completely exhausted, before my fuse gets too short, before I get that overwhelmed feeling, that things go much better.  I hope you try it - and I really think you'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment