Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Sneaky Penguins

"Mom, there are PENGUINS in our BATHROOM," Andy said immediately upon coming downstairs this morning.

"What do you mean, there are penguins in your bathroom," I asked.

"They're in our bathroom!  And they weren't there last night.  I'm sure they weren't!  Where did they come from?"

"Do you mean that you're pretending that there are penguins?  Like your bathroom is at the North Pole or something?"

"No.  They're on the MIRROR."

"Well, how did they get there?" I asked.

"You don't know?" he said, with a surprised face.

"Well, don't you know?" I said, evading his question.

Then Isaac came onto the scene, and Isaac wouldn't believe Andy until we all went upstairs and stared, in shock, at the mysterious penguins dancing across their bathroom mirror.

Probably the only time I will ever publicly post photos of a boy's bathroom...
Actually, this morning, there were only two penguins, because (obviously), I was the mysterious penguin person.  I figure that it's the right of all parents to mess with their kids a bit, particularly in the name of good holiday fun.

Besides, it's not like I'm telling them that Santa is real.  As a side note, am I the only person completely creeped out by the idea of a real Santa?  Some big huge hairy guy shoving himself down your chimney, eating your cookies, drinking your milk, and parking his reindeer on your roof?  I've been in cow pastures.  I know what a whole herd of large animals leave behind.  Um, no thank you.

Anyway, back to the point, I realized that Dave and I hadn't cleared our stories with each other, and today when he got home from work, they told him about the penguins too, and asked where they came from.  

"Penguins?" He said. "Haven't they always been there?"  The kids didn't know what to think about that one.   

So tonight I added the other two penguins shown in the picture.  My plan is to add a couple more pieces a day until Christmas.  Tomorrow, I'll starting building snowmen, a piece or two at a time.  


No comments:

Post a Comment