Monday, October 11, 2010

Soy free deliciousness: Cinnamon Apples and French Vanilla Ice Cream

I made slow-cooked cinnamon apples, piled on top of a scoop (who are we kidding, two scoops), of French vanilla ice cream, and it was delicious!  A few people asked me about a recipe, so here's what I did:

Ingredients:
3 medium apples (I used Honeycrisp)
 1/2 c Splenda Brown Sugar
3 T butter, cold and diced
1/2 t ground cloves
2 t ground cinnamon
sprinkle of all-spice
1/2 c water
1/2 t vanilla

Core apples (before coring, make sure they fit in your crock pot! It's a tight fit in my small crock pot).  Using a knife, make several tiny slits around each apple.  Place the cored apples in your crock pot, set aside.

mix Splenda Brown sugar (note: if you use regular brown sugar, you'd probably have to use a cup, as the proportions are not equal), butter, cloves, cinnamon, and all-spice in a bowl with a fork.  You should still have individual pieces of butter at this point.

Stuff the mixture into the cored holes of the apples, using your hands to pack it in.  Sprinkle whatever you have leftover on top of the apples.

Mix water and vanilla together (I just use the same bowl that I made the spice mixture in - it's all going into the same pot anyway!), and pour into the bottom of the crock pot, avoiding the apples as much as possible, so that the brown sugar mixture stays put as long as possible.

Cook on low for several hours - I think I cooked mine for about 6-7 hours, but some crock pots cook faster than others.  Just poke them gently to see if they're ready - they should be very tender.  Here's a picture of what mine looked like when I took them out:




Cut into thin slices, and pile high on top of some french vanilla ice cream, and enjoy!  I also spoon some of the sauce left in the crock pot over the apples and ice cream. 

It will make your whole house smell like fall!  Anyone have any favorite (soy-free) fall recipes that make the whole house smell warm and yummy?

No comments:

Post a Comment