Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I don't believe in New Year's Resolutions, but here are my goals.

I've decided I don't really like New Year's resolutions.  I think that 365 days is a long time to have to wait to see if you make your goal or not.  And, usually, by the time the next year rolls around, I've completely forgotten them, don't review them, or even if I do, I usually find that I didn't really complete them.  So, for me, an entire list of year-long goals feels like a set up for failure (kudos to those of you who can actually do them and follow through though!)

I think I just work better with short-term goals, even if they're within the scope of a long-term goal.

So, for this coming year, I am going to create 1-2 manageable goals each month.  Some might be projects to complete, some might be habits I want to start, and some might be the same goal that I did last month, just doing it again.  But I'm not making any goals that last longer than a month.

I'm going to try to determine the goal for the month before we're several days into it, but I didn't want to wait till February to start.

So....January's goal:  To exercise 25 days out of the month.

So far I've done two days.

Within that, I've set a few smaller goals, because for right now, exercise has to start pretty small.  Turns out surgeries and laying around for months dealing with cancer doesn't exactly build muscle, and does absolutely nothing for your endurance.  Plus, there are whole muscle groups that I didn't use for months on end due to those issues.

Right now, I have a pretty short exercise regiment that my friend helped me put together, that helps the areas hurt the most by the months of laying around: My core.  It also targets my back muscles, because when you spend that long in pain, you sort of hunch over a lot, and lose some of the muscles that help you sit or stand up straight.  

This week, I'm breaking those exercises up into a few different sections, and doing something else between some of them.

Next week I want to be able to do them all together.

The week after that I hope to add another set of 10 for each of the exercises.

So, there you have it.  January's goal is to exercise 25 days out of the month, and I've done two days at this point.

What about you?  Do you have any goals that you're working on right now?  I'd love to hear them, and get some inspiration for the other 11 months this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment