Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Today's experiment: home-made almond-milk yogurt.

Today I was feeling a bit adventurous and thought I'd try my hand at making almond-milk yogurt.  "Why," you ask?  Simple:  I'm to cheap frugal to pay for the organic yogurt, specifically the kind of organic yogurt I want.

I'm not really into all-organic everything.  Some of you might disagree with that, and that's ok, but that's another discussion for another time.  What I AM supposed to be doing all-organic,  is anything animal-related.  The reason for this is that my cancer was estrogen-positive, which means that eating products of animals that were fed hormones, or eating products with soy is bad for me in particular.  If I'm out to eat, I don't usually worry about it too much, but at home, I'm trying to implement budget-friendly options.  Thus today's experiment.

I might also try making it with organic milk.  But almond milk seems like a pretty decent option too - the only downside is that it doesn't have as much protein as dairy-based yogurt.  At least not based on the nutrition info on the almond milk.  If I were to try to do dairy yogurt on a regular basis, I think I would want to find a farmer to buy it from whole-sale, because organic milk in the grocery stores seems to be fairly expensive.

If it ends up working well, I'll post about it later!  If it doesn't....well, depending on how bad it is, I might spare you the details.  Wish me luck!

Once I have yogurt figured out, I want to try home-made mozzarella cheese.  Anyone have a tried-and-true recipe to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment