Monday, March 21, 2011

Yogurt Success!

I successfully made yogurt!  It tastes better than it looks. So far I've been eating it plain (though it has a hint of vanilla from my starter yogurt), but I think it would also be good with berries, or possibly other flavors as well.



I decided to make yogurt from organic regular milk, rather than almond milk.  I did a comparison of the nutritional info of almond milk and regular milk, and as long as the milk is organic (or at least hormone/anti-biotic free milk), I think the nutritional value is better for regular milk.  So, I'll probably stick with that for now, because it turned out great!  I liked the taste much better than store-bought yogurt, and there wasn't any added sugar in it at all, making it much healthier.

I tried making some of the yogurt into more of a greek-style yogurt, which was easy, and tasted good.

Since that went so well, I decided to also try making yogurt cheese from part of the yogurt.  I LOVE cream cheese, but it's not so good for you, and you can use yogurt cheese like you would cream cheese. It was amazing!

As easy as it was, I think this will be a regular thing at our house now, since it fits the rules I have for making food from scratch versus store bought.  Score!

No comments:

Post a Comment