Monday, April 18, 2011

First meager attempt at meal planning

Well, we're running out of weeks in April to try meal planning (since that's one of this month's goals), so I decided to give it a try this week.  I decided I don't really want to have specific breakfasts and lunch to remember on specific days, so for those meals, I decided to instead have a list of foods that I have on hand to choose from.

For breakfast, I'm having some combination of oatmeal, fruit, cereal, eggs, or yogurt.  And, of course, coffee with each breakfast.

For lunch, I am having either a salad or leftovers.  For salads, I have tuna to put on it (not to be confused with tuna salad with mayo and such), beans (black beans, kidney beans, etc...a whole mixture of them), artichoke hearts, shredded cheese, cucumbers, carrots and other veggies....and I'll pick some combination of those items to put on the lettuce.

For dinner, here's the plan:

  • Monday (tonight): Italian chicken, brown rice, veggies
  • Tuesday: Baked Spaghetti (with whole-grain noodles)
  • Wednesday: Baked Citrus Tilapia, brown rice, veggies
  • Thursday: Roast, potatoes, veggies
  • Friday: Out to eat

I think we'll go out to eat on Friday, especially since we're hosting some family for Easter and I'll be doing enough cooking then (and I've already most planned the menu for that meal too! Just trying to decide on the dessert...).

Anyway, hopefully this will keep me more organized, and keep us eating more healthy meals (the spaghetti isn't quite as healthy, but at least it's whole-grain noodles and all-natural red sauce, so it's not too bad).

2 comments: