Friday, April 29, 2011

Five years ago, I said I do.


Today I celebrate 5 years of marriage to my husband.  In some ways it's hard to believe that it's already been 5 years.  In other ways, it's hard to believe it's only been 5 years.  It seems like we've done so much living in that time.


"I will be here" is a song that was sung at our wedding, and while I loved it at the time, it's come to mean so much more to me over the last 5 years.
I will be here
When you feel like being quiet
When you need to speak your mind
I will listen
And I will be here
When the laughter turns to cryin'
Through the winning, losing and trying
We'll be together
I will be here
I think through those lyrics, and I think of how much we have experienced together.  We've dealt with loss, with sadness, with grief.  We've rejoiced together, laughed together, and played together.

I remember Dave telling me once when we were talking about wether we should get married that he was nervous about whether he would have the strength to stay true to such a long-lasting, all-encompassing promise.

"What if something were to happen to you, something awful," he asked.  "For example, what if you got cancer?  Would I be strong enough to take care of you and fulfill my promises then?"

I'll never forget that conversation, not for the rest of my life.  I was glad he took marriage so seriously, even though at the time I never dreamed that I'd have something like cancer.  We decided we would trust God for the strength to face whatever came our way.  And I'm here to tell you that because of Christ, Dave was strong enough to take care of me through cancer.  God chose the best man possible to walk through life with me, and I'm so thankful.

Now, as we move to a whole new stage of life (we're becoming parents....wow!), I'm still incredibly thankful that "we'll be together.... through the winning, losing, and trying."

Five years ago, I said, "I do."  I'm still learning what all that entails, but I am looking forward to figuring it out for the rest of my life.
Tomorrow morning, if you wake up
And the future is unclear
I will be here
Just as sure as seasons were made for change
Our lifetimes were made for these years
So I will be here


Happy 5th Anniversary Dave!  I love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment