Friday, May 20, 2011

First trip to Toys R Us

We got Isaac today (!!) and since we spent some time with his foster family, it ended up getting to be kind of late as we got back on the road to head to Des Moines, so we decided to go out to eat.  We went to a Mexican place, which I think might have been Isaac's first experience with non-Taco-Bell Mexican food.

Though this is not the point of the post, he loved it.  In fact, after trying the salsa, he decided that maybe tomatos weren't quite as awful as he had thought, and I think he would eat more veggies if they always came mixed in with Mexican rice.

Anyway, in the parking lot of said restaurant, he spotted a Babies R Us, after which he wanted to know if there was a Kids R Us close by.  We sort of redirected his attention and hoped he'd forget.

Which he did, until we sort of reminded him during dinner.  We ended up thinking it would be fun (though right before we went in, I had my doubts).

However, when we talked about going there after dinner, we made it clear that this was a trip for looking, and not for buying.

His eyes grew as big as saucers within the first aisle.  I heard lots of "oooh's" and "ahhh's" and several flat out "wow's."  As I was browsing through things a little further up the aisle, I was mentally bracing myself  to turn around and face those big brown eyes and have to say no.

Except that the eyes I turned around to find were blue, not brown.

Dave found something that reminded him of his childhood, and I thought we were going to walk out of the store with the entire set of whatever in the world that was.

But we refocused, and kept moving.  At one point, we were in the Thomas the Train section, and I saw him getting really excited over a "Toby" train from the "take and play" set he's been accumulating.  He turned to me, and started to say something, then caught himself.

"Um....," he started... "um....we're still just looking, aren't we?"

"Yes, we are," I replied (with great difficulty).

Once we were back out in the car (with a few non-train purchases he didn't know about that we'll save for a later time - apparently we are not as good at following our rules as Isaac is), we praised him for sticking with our plan of just looking, and not asking to buy things.

I explained how when he does his part, it makes me want to take him back to the toy store again because I know he'll do what he's supposed to.

"Oooooh," he said.

I wish I could post an audio clip of his "Ooooh's."  They are so expressive, and make me laugh.

But really, I was so proud, and impressed, that he was able to get through an entire toy store and just enjoy the experience, without asking for stuff!

1 comment:

  1. I think I will be chuckling over the "blue, not brown" line all night. Oh Dave! There is a small store in Cleveland that has lots of "old" toys and it is SO hard to not buy all the My Little Ponies that I used to have when we're in there.

    And way to go Isaac with the looking and not buying! What an important lesson to learn. Good job, Dave and Kelli.

    ReplyDelete