Tuesday, January 17, 2012

They get it.

For awhile, I've been praying that if God intends for us to have a big family, he would give us kids who are excited about having more kids join our family.

I've also been praying that they would understand that adoption is truly God's "plan A" for our family.  Dave and I have been praying since the beginning of our marriage that he would give us kids in his timing, and in his way.
As for God, his way is perfect:
The LORD’s word is flawless;
he shields all who take refuge in him.
     Psalm 18:30
We have celebrated adoption in our family, and have talked with the kids about it quite a bit.  At the same time, I always wonder how much of it sinks in, all the way to their heart.

The other night, we had a family movie night, and one of the kids started talking about having more kids in our family.  It's a popular subject at our house; they often ask when we'll have more kids, and put in their "requests" for the specifics (some days it's a kindergartner, sometimes they want it to be a girl so that I'm not the only girl in the house...it varies!).

At any rate, one of the boys turned to me and said, "So Mom, since we all want more kids in our family, how come you're not pregnant?"  

My mind started spinning with how exactly to answer that seemingly complicated and tricky question, when my other child turned to him and said, "Well because!  That's not how God wants to add kids to our family!  God decided our family should get bigger by adopting kids, and we like to do things God's way, right Mom?"

Faith like a child is a beautiful thing.  And it was an incredible blessing to my heart to realize that my kids get it.  That answer was enough for them, and it was so simple - it's because that's not God's plan!  

It also tells me that they understand that their adoption into our family was also part of God's plan.  And not just some contingency plan.  It was his "Plan A."   I don't think a day goes by that I don't give thanks to God for my kids (even last night, when one of them was driving me c.r.a.z.y!!).  They are two of the biggest blessings of my life, and it's amazing that God saw fit to entrust them to Dave and I to parent and raise to follow Him.

If God gives us more kids to love, I'll thank Him for them as well, but for today, it's enough for my heart to know that my kids that I already have really do get it. 

1 comment:

  1. Love 'Plan A'. Great post Kelly! You and Dave are awesome parents!!!

    ReplyDelete