Sunday, July 29, 2012

2 years....and Counting!



Two years ago today, I completed my treatment for breast cancer.  In some ways, it seems like a different lifetime ago.  And in some ways, it still seems fresh, and even a bit raw at times.

But no matter how difficult having cancer was - and it was difficult - it was a beautiful thing to celebrate being done.  It was wonderful to know that, by the grace of God, I made it through the fight.

And now I'm 2 and and 7 months out from my diagnosis date, and have been out of treatment for 2 years.  To celebrate, I went to my oncologist for a checkup (ok, it just happened that way).   I often dread it, and this time was no exception.  However, it was fun to see all the wonderful staff that helped make cancer bearable.  And, on top of it all, my oncologist gave me a clean bill of health, and said she had no concerns.  Praise God!  I am so thankful for his mercy in letting me keep good health.  I have vowed to praise him whether or not things go my way, but it is wonderful that He has given me such a sweet gift.

I have rarely (almost never) posted pictures of me from my battle with cancer.  It's too painful to even remember what I looked like - much less share that with the Internets.  I think that, in part, it's because it reminds me of how I felt.  However, for the purpose of celebration, here is a picture of me and Dave in 2010, at a celebration party just a few days after I finished treatment:

And now, 2 years later:

It's even more fun if you get the full picture of how much life has changed!

S'mores were an awesome wedding favor at my best friend's wedding!
I am incredibly blessed.  And while sometimes our blessings come in different ways, I am reminded yet again of of what a great God I serve.  Not because he chose to give me back my health, but because he is faithful, and He is good.  All the time.

Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him. Psalm 34:8

No comments:

Post a Comment