Friday, November 5, 2010

Banana Nut Muffins

I made Banana Nut Muffins this week.  It took me two tries, as I got distracted this past Tuesday by all the election coverage and forgot to add 2 of the 3 cups of flour.  Turns out that changes the texture quite a bit.

The original recipe was taken from my beloved America's Test Kitchen Baking book, but I modified it quite a bit.  Also, as the picture shows, I make a big mess when I bake things.


Here's the recipe, with my modifications, for anyone who has excess bananas to use like I did!  They have been delicious for breakfast and for snacks!

Banana Nut Muffins:

Ingredients:

3 cups while whole wheat flour
1/2 cup Splenda brown sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 and 1/2 cups non-fat plain yogurt
2 large eggs
4 T unsalted butter, melted and cooled
4 T all-natural applesauce
1 and 1/2 cups finely chopped ripe bananas
1/2 cup walnuts

1. Adjust oven rack to middle of oven and preheat to 375 degrees.  Prepare (grease or paper) muffin tins.  I made 18 muffins with this recipe and still had enough to make a mini-loaf of bread, but you could make much larger muffins and fewer of them.

2. Whisk the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.


3. In a medium bowl, whisk the yogurt and eggs together until very smooth. 


4. Gently fold the yogurt mixture into the flour mixture until just combined, then fold in the melted butter and applesauce. 

5.  Add banana and walnuts.  Do not over stir! 

6. Spoon mix into your muffin tins.  I filled them about 3/4 full.


7.  Bake at 375 for 23-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs on it.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment