Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Heart of Adoption: 127,000 v. 300,000

127,000 ::  number of children in the US currently in foster homes who are waiting for a permanent family.

300,000+ ::  number of churches in the US.

Those are HUGE numbers!  Keep in mind that the second one is not the number of people who go to church, it's the number of church families in America, according to this article.

If just over one couple per church adopted a child, every waiting child in the US would have a home.  


Isaiah 1:17 

Learn to do right; seek justice. 
Defend the oppressed.
Take up the cause of the fatherless; 
plead the case of the widow.

It seems like a pretty good solution to me.  Over and over, I see in the Bible that it is our job as a church, and more importantly, as believers in Christ to take care of those in need around us.

If you've ever even considered adoption, you could check out resources for each state here.  

Don't get me wrong: I love international adoption.  I hope that there will be an international adoption in our future.  But there are 127,000 children in our own nation - and there are children right there in your community - who desperately need our help too.

My prayer is that we see those children as God sees them -  precious little children, made in His image, and created for a purpose.  My hope is that we allow ourselves the blessing of being used by God as we seek to "learn to do right, seek justice...take up the cause of the fatherless."

Mark 9:36-37
He [Jesus] took a little child whom he placed among them. Taking the child in his arms, he said to them, “Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me.”

*To view all the posts in this series, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment