Monday, January 31, 2011

Vanilla-Cinnamon Pearsauce

Last week I had pears I wanted to use up, and wasn't sure what to do with them exactly - I can only eat so many pears!  So, inspired by a post from MoneySavingMom, I decided to create my own version of pearsauce.  I was happy with the results, and thought I would share!  I believe you could also do this with apples for a similar effect.


Vanilla-Cinnamon Pearsauce
Ingredients:
6 pears
1 cup water
1 heaping teaspoon of cinnamon 
1 teaspoon vanilla
3-4 Tablespoons agave nectar, depending on taste.


Directions:
Core and cut up the pears, and place them in your crockpot.  For faster cooking time, you could cut the pieces smaller, but I left my pieces pretty large.  Also, while many people peel their fruit before making sauces, I left the peels on, as they contain valuable nutrients.  

Add the water, then sprinkle with cinnamon.

Cover, then let the crock pot cook on low for several hours.  Every crock pot is different, but I think I cooked mine for about 4-5 hours.  It's done when it's very soft and tender.

If you like your sauce thicker, use a slotted spoon to scoop the pears into a blender/magic bullet.  If you like it a bit thinner, you can use a soup ladle to scoop the pears into the blender.  Either way you should have at least some juice left (which I think I might try making into a glaze for something else....not sure yet!).

Add in the vanilla and agave nectar (try adding in only a couple of tablespoons first, to see if you like it, and add more as needed).

Blend until it's at the consistency you want it!  If you want SUPER chunky sauce, try mashing the scooped pears with a potato masher instead.


It should keep for several days in the fridge.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment