Thursday, February 3, 2011

Baking Bread without the Fire Extinguisher

As many of you know, we had a bit of excitement about a week ago when I accidentally set my kitchen on fire trying to bake bread (which I do on a very regular basis, so I don't quite know what happened this time!).  I lost a few towels to the flames, and made an extraordinary mess, but everything was ok, and Dave was really quite kind about the whole fiasco.  

Here is a photo of the nastiness that was the inside of my oven:

Now that things are back to normal, I thought I'd try baking bread again, but I was a little nervous.  Didn't want to set another fire, you know.  Although, Dave said that if it caught fire again, we'd just get a new oven.  It was tempting, but I didn't want the embarrassment of 2 house fires that close together, so I played it very safe.

What a relief it was, then, to have my bread rise without incident!  I was so happy after the first rising cycle that I turned part of the dough into celebratory cinnamon-raisin bread.  And added a few rolls for good measure (there were 4, but I had to taste-test when they were fresh out of the oven....)

See?  Isn't that a much nicer picture than the one above?
I was pretty happy with the cinnamon-raisin bread, too.  I hadn't ever tried that before, and I think that one will stay in the repertoire now.

It's such a relief to have baked bread without incident after the last time.  Next time I might even try leaving the room while it's rising.  For now, though, I'm just enjoying the way the house smells!

No comments:

Post a Comment