Monday, March 7, 2011

I'm a knitting machine.

I've liked knitting for a long time, but have been especially into it lately, for one particular reason.  When I had cancer, I was given 3 hand-made hats by Knots-For-Love.  I remember getting those hats, and feeling relieved that I would have something to cover my head with when my hair all fell out.  It was so comforting.
My hats from www.knotsoflove.org
Down at the cancer treatment center, they collect hats to give out to patients who are going through cancer treatments.  Currently, the vast majority of the hats are cotton hats, hand-made by a previous cancer patient, and are great for summer.  However, sometimes it was nice to have something warmer, so to that end, I've started knitting hats to donate to the cancer center.

It's been really therapeutic to create hats for others who will be going bald. I found thick, soft yarn, and they were fun to make!

This one is made out of a thinner yarn, but still very soft.

Some of them I've made more detailed, others of them I left more plain.  I know I had days where I felt like wearing more decorative things, and days where I just wanted to try to blend in and chose more plain ones.

If anyone in Des Moines wants to make hats, I'd be happy to collect them and take them to the cancer center.  If you don't live in the Des Moines area, you could make and donate hats through Knots Of Love.

Either way, if you're interested in getting involved, you can check out the patterns from Knots of Love, as well as some guidelines for making good hats for cancer patients. One of the biggest things is to choose very soft yarn, as your scalp can be extremely sensitive after hair loss.

For an easy pattern, you could follow these instructions:

Size 13 needles (either double-pointed or with needles for working things in the round)
Thick, chunky yarn (should be for size 13 needles)
Cast On 48 stitches
Knit 2, Purl 2 in the round for 4 rows.
Knit in the round till the hat reaches about  6 inches
To finish, knit on double-point needles:
Knit 8, then SSK 2 stiches together, then Knit 2 stitches together.
Knit 1 row
Knit 6, then SSK 2 stiches together, then Knit 2 stitches together.
Knit 1 row
Knit 4, then SSK 2 stiches together, then Knit 2 stitches together.
Knit 1 row
Knit 2, then SSK 2 stiches together, then Knit 2 stitches together.
Knit 1 row
Cut yarn, leaving a generous tail.
Use a yarn needle, thread the tail of the yarn through all 12 remaining loops twice, then pull tight (make sure to pull the yarn from the inside of the hat).  Use the yarn needle to weave in any loose ends.
Decorate as desired, or leave it as-is!

Knitting isn't for everyone, but for those of you who are into knitting (or want to learn!) and want a new project, may I recommend knitting hats for cancer patients!

No comments:

Post a Comment