Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Rest for the Long Roads


I've mentioned before that I've been tired.  And that this stretch of the road has felt a bit rough.   And long. 

We are in the midst of dealing with attachment issues, of helping our kids deal with big emotions, of filling in the missing pieces of life and development that should have been there from the beginning.  It's hard to not give in to the feelings of isolation and loneliness, the feeling that nobody understands. 

After months of struggling, we are getting closer to finding some possible new answers.  And I'm praying that things work out, that the possibilities actually do prove to be answers that work for our family and help us grow together.  But in the meantime, I find my soul to be tired so very often.

I am familiar with taking care of myself after a short period of stress.  High stress, even.  I'm familiar with having a crazy couple of weeks, then taking a day off of regularly scheduled life in order to recharge and rejuvenate.

But what about when the load feels heavy, and the road feels long?  What about when you can't take a day "off" and unwind?  What about when life feels overwhelming and you can't see an end in sight?

I know I'm not alone in that feeling.  I don't know a lot of parents dealing with intense attachment issues, but I know of a lot of people who have had to put one foot in front of the other for day after day, month after month, and sometimes year after year.

So what do you do then? 

How do you find rest in times like this?

It's a question to which I'm still learning the answer.  But I'd like to share a few of my ideas, and the things I've been learning, and would welcome any input from you as well!  So, with that, stay tuned for my new series, "Rest for the Long Roads."  

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment