Wednesday, January 12, 2011

January Goal update

Well, as I mentioned before, my January goal is to exercise for 25 days out of the month.  Since posting the goal, I've logged 9 days of exercise.  Some of them have admittedly been more impressive than others, but I've only missed one day since posting the goals!

I often tell my beginning piano students that they need to practice at least a few minutes at least 4-5 days a week.  When the songs they're working on are only 9 notes long, they don't really need long practice sessions, and I sometimes get asked if all the practicing can just be done in one day (I can always tell who the logical thinkers are by this question!).  However, by doing a little bit each day, it gets them into the habit of practicing, and helps them build good habits that will make progressing musically much easier.

I think that's kind of where I am right now.  I'm not necessarily doing that much for exercise (an ever-varying mixture of a few free hand weights, some ab work, playing with a medicine ball, the elliptical machine, etc), but I feel good about developing exercising habits, and 9 out of 10 days, even if some of the days were a little wimpy, is a really good start for me!

In a side note,  since I signed up for a Zumba class that starts in February (any Des Moines people want to join me?),  I started looking at different beginner videos on YouTube.   Today, I went through one a couple of times to see if I could get the hang of some of those steps.  It was a total of (almost) 11 minutes, and it was tiring! My class is an hour long.  So, for at least the first few weeks, I'm mostly hoping for a soft place to land when I pass out.  

The good news is that doing the moves was really fun - so I should at least have a good time in class before I fall over!

2 comments:

  1. when is the zumba class and where ?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's at Waukee schools, Tuesdays @7pm, starting Feb. 1st!
    http://waukee.revtrak.net/tek9.asp?pg=regwerks&sess=acd96fa77b596e835bc870b88059e2b6

    It's the Zumba class under Health & Wellness. You should join me!

    ReplyDelete